Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Dungeons and Dragons

Well, I'm hosting a DnD game finally, and the preparation has turned out to be more than I expected.

I figure I'm going to use the blog to weekly update on the progress of the party. For now though I'll start with the setting. I didn't want your stereotypical good vs evil campaign, so the "theme" is law vs chaos.

The setting is in the midst of a war between two empires.
The first empire is led from a City-State called Alaeth.
A Chaotic Neutral Democratic State, based loosely on Mayan and Greek history.

The second empire is led from Raccassamedi. Another City-State. Lawful Neutral Monarchy.
Based loosely on Middle Eastern / Ancient Egyptian history .... as imagined by Jules Verne.

The population of Alaeth encourages the breeding in between races. All people are not equal in Alaeth and the more diverse your background, the more esteemed you are.

The population of Raccassamedi views it the opposite way, feeling that more is lost than gained from such relationships. Socially it is entirely unacceptable to be a half breed, however officially they are at no disadvantage.


I have a globe I've set up so the entire world is a playground for the party.
There is potential for sea travel, there are several different potential environments they can trek into, each is basically done in enough detail that I can keep them busy for 2 weeks until I can build up the rest of the environment they're exploring.

About 1/4 of the map is ruled by Raccassamedi.
About 1/4 is ruled by Alaeth.
About 1/4 is Neutral.
About 1/4 is Sea.

There are 4 Metropolises completed.
There are 3 dungeons.
There are at least 40 set encounters spread throughout the map. About half are move able.

No comments: